Question: Should I See An ENT Or Audiologist For Tinnitus?

Should I see an ENT or audiologist?

If the audiologist detects the presence of a medical condition with your ears, then you would likely be referred to an ENT.

If you are experiencing pain or swelling in your ears, then you would want to see your medical doctor or go directly to an ENT, who is a specialist in this area..

Can an ENT diagnose tinnitus?

At NYU Langone, otolaryngologists—ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctors—and audiologists use a variety of diagnostic tests to determine the type of tinnitus causing your symptoms and, if possible, the cause. Doctors can’t detect most types of tinnitus.

What type of doctor treats tinnitus?

After you’ve been diagnosed with tinnitus, you may need to see an ear, nose and throat doctor (otolaryngologist). You may also need to work with a hearing expert (audiologist).

What happens at ENT appointment for tinnitus?

During your evaluation, your doctor or audiologist will examine your ears, head and neck to look for possible causes of tinnitus. Tests include: Hearing (audiological) exam. As part of the test, you’ll sit in a soundproof room wearing earphones through which will be played specific sounds into one ear at a time.